Monday, February 27, 2006

Nothing left to Say

Twenty minutes past midnight. Unusual. That’s how the whole scenario was. At an alien place at an unearthly hour, listening to the ambulance and police sirens, that was unusual. Seeing Sia’s lifeless body, prostrate in the bed, that was unusual.

‘Energetic’ ‘Indefatigable’ ‘Bubbly’….-these were words synonymous with my best friend. My best friends, who had the gift of gab and who had honed that gift to its peak – she coud speak, constantly, about every topic under the sun –now lay motionless on the bed, that was unusual.

I stood there waiting for my husband to arrive. For his reassuring hug, for him to tell me it was all going to be all right. My mind drifted, on its own accord, to my memories of Sia, the times we shared and the impact she’d had on my life. She had her own theories regarding life. Ironing clothes was a waste of time, belief in God was a sign of ignorance, tipping the waiter was mandatory- no matter how bad the food was. “He didn’t cook the food”, she’d say. While her theories were all too fine, they did not always concur with mine. And as opposites attract, this never was a hurdle in our relationship. Both of us felt the effort to iron out the differences was not worth it.

The theory of her that I completely disagreed with was her belief that relationship with men did not require a legal stamp on it. Marriage, she considered anathema imposed by the society. Her disgust for this institution that has bonded man and woman in civilization for centuries had its beginnings when her parents were divorced during her childhood.

Still brooding, I was shaken out of my reverie by the inspector. He handed me an envelope with my name written on it. Even through the tears in my eyes, I could recognize Sia’s petite handwriting. I slit it open to find a letter.

Dear Reva,

I know you must be mad at me, but believe me, I had no choice. I couldn’t stand the fact that I was wrong, wrong as ever, wrong always, dead wrong.
We always quarreled about the sanctity of marriage. In keeping my views, I decided to spend the rest of life with Gautham without getting married to him. All was fine. I loved life and was completely satisfied with the course it was taking. I still remember how disappointed I was when I heard of your marriage. Just a month into that ‘holy institution’, you were already cribbing about your husband’s late office hours and frequent business trips. Whenever I thought of how much I was getting out of life with Gautham, I pitied you for falling into the trap that was marriage.

“ life is a journey of many steps. We just stop along the way for a while and then move on. That’s the inevitable truth” –I whole-hearted agreed with Gautham’s proud words.

Until things began to change. Insecurity began to creep in. With him around, things were good, but the world turned into a mad-house when he didn’t return for months on end. The final blow was when I caught sight of you with your husband.I realized how happy you were. How you had everything and I had a lot of nothing. Inspite of your complaints, you had someone to count on at the end of the day. Someone who cared for you, someone who loved you.

I am sorry Reva, I was wrong.

Yours friend,
Sia.

The warmth of the hands that I felt on my shoulders told me that my husband was here. A brave girl, my best friend, had just ended her life. Why? Why did she?? Tears were spontaneous. In a bid to stem my tears, my husband held me close, looked into my eyes and sincerely said : life is a journey of many steps. We just stop along the way for a while and then move on. That’s the inevitable truth
There was nothing left to say.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! grippin til the very end.. the way u turn the tables is really great..

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing left to Say .)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Laks said...

oy.. itha entha short story le irundu copy adicha??? :P... good goin gal...enna imagination.. u have a husband n all huh... reva!.. :D

12:02 AM  
Blogger Riyaa said...

thanx arvind..do keep visitin'

hey kb..thanx again..but don know if i did a great job with it...only a few cud actually notice the "turnin table" thing...the others commented it to be a "touchy story" .)

arafat..good...kuch naa kaho..

lol lux..got it from Sulekha.com .)

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this story was even better than ur prev one... does have a tinge of sentiment.. turnin tables aint a big thing but doin it at d very last line is ofcourse amazing.. really nice work :)

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rabiya,

this is vinodh, srilatha's frnd. she sent me the link to ur blog and it was really nice to read ur blog dint expect such a twist at the very end...

keep up the good work!!!

3:11 AM  
Blogger Riyaa said...

Hey vinodh...thanks a ton..i hope the compliment is not on the same lines as Sri's singing talents .)...btw i heard from Sri that u r now relocated to Cdc2...will c u sometime.

7:09 PM  
Blogger wenstumped said...

wow! just plain wow!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Harvind Dokshan said...

hey rabiya... i will tell u wat this is an excellent one... i remember reading it in our college magazine released in 2003(if am not wrong ofcourse the author being u )... infact i wud advice u to post the topic one on WHY FEAR DEATH i dont remember the exact title but that was one gud work by u.. it had all the ingredients for a ton... keep it going dude..

9:10 PM  
Blogger Riyaa said...

hey Harvind..yeah..thats true..i wrote this in 2'nd year...dint save a copy...so recently wen i came across the magazine at my friends place,figured blog cud be a great repository..abt the other article "indifference to death"..that was more like kovaiserala's pic edited to look like aishwarya's..:)..what i mean is..the first draft,that i wrote n what was published had no resemblence..the editor, a good friend of mine ,did the editin' job n hence the neat work...frankly ,he's the one to take credit.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home